Cangrelor in Patients With Coronary Artery Disease Pretreated With Ticagrelor: The Switching Antiplatelet (SWAP)-5 Study
There are no studies specifically designed to rule out a drug-drug interaction (DDI) when cangrelor is used among patients who have been pretreated with ticagrelor.
This study sought to rule out a DDI among cangrelor-treated patients who have been pretreated with ticagrelor.
In this prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover, pharmacokinetic (PK) and pharmacodynamic (PD) study, patients with coronary artery disease (N = 20) were pretreated with a 180-mg ticagrelor loading dose and after 1 hour randomized to placebo or cangrelor (bolus and infusion for 2 hours). Patients crossed over after 1 to 4 weeks of washout. PK analysis included ticagrelor plasma levels and its active metabolite. PD assessments included VerifyNow P2Y12 reaction units (PRU), light transmittance aggregometry, vasodilator-stimulated phosphoprotein, and Total Thrombus-Formation Analysis System. PK/PD assessments were performed at 7 time points.
Compared with placebo, adding cangrelor to patients pretreated with ticagrelor resulted in a significant reduction in PRU at 30 minutes and 1 hour after starting infusion. At 2 hours after stopping cangrelor/placebo infusion, PRU were low and similar in both groups (16.9 vs 12.6; mean difference: 4.3; 95% CI: −28.6 to 37.3), meeting the noninferiority primary endpoint (predefined noninferiority margin 45 PRU). Consistent findings were shown with all PD assays. PK tracked PD findings with no differences between groups in plasma levels of ticagrelor and its metabolite.
Compared with placebo, the use of cangrelor in patients pretreated with ticagrelor results in enhanced platelet inhibition with no differences in PK/PD profiles after discontinuation of drug infusion indicating the absence of a DDI. (PD and PK Profiles of Switching Between Cangrelor and Ticagrelor Following Ticagrelor Pre-treatment [SWAP-5]; NCT04634162)
1. "Effect of platelet inhibition with cangrelor during PCI on ischemic events". N Engl J Med 2013;368:1303-1313.
2. "Antiplatelet therapy after percutaneous coronary intervention". EuroIntervention 2022;17:e1371-e1396.
3. "2021 ACC/AHA/SCAI guideline for coronary artery revascularization: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Joint Committee on Clinical Practice Guidelines". J Am Coll Cardiol 2022;79:2: e21-e129.
4. "2020 ESC guidelines for the management of acute coronary syndromes in patients presenting without persistent ST-segment elevation". Eur Heart J 2021;42:1289-1367.
5. "International expert consensus on switching Platelet P2Y12 receptor-inhibiting therapies". Circulation 2017;136:1955-1975.
6. "Switching P2Y12-receptor inhibitors in patients with coronary artery disease". Nat Rev Cardiol 2016;13:11-27.
7. "Pharmacodynamic effects of cangrelor and clopidogrel: the platelet function substudy from the cangrelor versus standard therapy to achieve optimal management of platelet inhibition (CHAMPION) trials". J Thromb Thrombolysis 2012;34:44-55.
8. "Transitioning patients from cangrelor to clopidogrel: pharmacodynamic evidence of a competitive effect". Thromb Res 2008;121:527-534.
9. "Pharmacodynamic effects when clopidogrel is given before cangrelor discontinuation". J Interv Cardiol 2015;28:415-419.
10. "Pharmacodynamic effects during the transition between cangrelor and prasugrel". Coron Artery Dis 2015;26:42-48.
11. "Pharmacodynamic effects during the transition between cangrelor and ticagrelor". J Am Coll Cardiol Intv 2014;7:435-442.
12. "Platelet inhibition with cangrelor and crushed ticagrelor in patients with ST-segment-elevation myocardial infarction undergoing primary percutaneous coronary intervention". Circulation 2019;139:1661-1670.
13. "Cangrelor in combination with ticagrelor provides consistent and potent P2Y12-inhibition during and after primary percutaneous coronary intervention in real-world patients with ST-segment-elevation myocardial infarction". Platelets 2017;28:414-416.
14. "Clinical use of cangrelor: nationwide experience from the Swedish Coronary Angiography and Angioplasty Registry (SCAAR)". Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Pharmacother 2019;5:151-157.
15. "Effects of methylnaltrexone on ticagrelor-induced antiplatelet effects in coronary artery disease patients treated with morphine". J Am Coll Cardiol Intv 2019;12:1538-1549.
16. "Antithrombotic therapy for patients with STEMI undergoing primary PCI". Nat Rev Cardiol 2017;14:361-379.
17. "Standardized bleeding definitions for cardiovascular clinical trials: a consensus report from the Bleeding Academic Research Consortium". Circulation 2011;123:2736-2747.
18. "Standardized end point definitions for coronary intervention trials: the Academic Research Consortium-2 consensus document". Circulation 2018;137:2635-2650.
19. "A pharmacodynamic comparison of prasugrel vs. high-dose clopidogrel in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and coronary artery disease: results of the Optimizing anti-Platelet Therapy In diabetes MellitUS (OPTIMUS)-3 Trial". Eur Heart J 2011;32:838-846.
20. "Pharmacodynamic evaluation of switching from ticagrelor to prasugrel in patients with stable coronary artery disease: Results of the SWAP-2 Study (Switching Anti Platelet-2)". J Am Coll Cardiol 2014;63:1500-1509.
21. "Pharmacodynamic effects of switching from prasugrel to ticagrelor: results of the prospective, randomized SWAP-3 study". J Am Coll Cardiol Intv 2016;9:1089-1098.
22. "Platelet-derived thrombogenicity measured by total thrombus-formation analysis system in patients with ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction undergoing primary percutaneous coronary intervention". Circ J 2020;84:975-984.
23. "Pharmacodynamic effects of switching from ticagrelor to clopidogrel in patients with coronary artery disease: results of the SWAP-4 study". Circulation 2018;137:2450-2462.
24. "Updated expert consensus statement on platelet function and genetic testing for guiding P2Y12 receptor inhibitor treatment in percutaneous coronary intervention". J Am Coll Cardiol Intv 2019;12:1521-1537.
25. "Consensus and future directions on the definition of high on-treatment platelet reactivity to adenosine diphosphate". J Am Coll Cardiol 2010;56:919-933.
26. "Facilitation Through Aggrastat or Cangrelor Bolus and Infusion Over PrasugreL: a MUlticenter Randomized Open-label Trial in PatientS with ST-elevation Myocardial InFarction Referred for PrimAry PercutaneouS InTERvention (FABOLUS FASTER) trial: design and rationale". J Cardiovasc Transl Res 2021;14:110-119.
27. "Intravenous antiplatelet therapies (glycoprotein IIb/IIIa receptor inhibitors and cangrelor) in percutaneous coronary intervention: from pharmacology to indications for clinical use". Ther Adv Cardiovasc Dis 2019;13:1753944719893274.
28. "Intravenous platelet blockade with cangrelor during PCI". N Engl J Med 2009;361:2330-2341.
29. "Platelet inhibition with cangrelor in patients undergoing PCI". N Engl J Med 2009;361:2318-2329.
30. "Novel antiplatelet agents in acute coronary syndrome". Nat Rev Cardiol 2015;12:30-47.
31. "Cangrelor use patterns and transition to oral P2Y12 inhibitors among patients with myocardial infarction: initial results from the CAMEO registry". J Am Heart Assoc 2022;11:e024513.
32. "Ticagrelor versus clopidogrel in patients with acute coronary syndromes". N Engl J Med 2009;361:1045-1057.
33. "In vitro pharmacodynamic effects of cangrelor on platelet P2Y12 receptor-mediated signaling in ticagrelor-treated patients". J Am Coll Cardiol Intv 2017;10:1374-1375.
34. "Pharmacodynamics, pharmacokinetics, and safety of the oral reversible P2Y12 antagonist AZD6140 with aspirin in patients with atherosclerosis: a double-blind comparison to clopidogrel with aspirin". Eur Heart J 2006;27:1038-1047.
35. "Prehospital ticagrelor in ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction". N Engl J Med 2014;371:1016-1027.
36. "Effect of prehospital crushed prasugrel tablets in patients with ST-segment-elevation myocardial infarction planned for primary percutaneous coronary intervention: the randomized COMPARE CRUSH trial". Circulation 2020;142:2316-2328.
37. "Pharmacodynamic effects of cangrelor in elective complex PCI: insights from the POMPEII study". EuroIntervention Published online December13, 2022. https://doi.org/10.4244/EIJ-D-22-594.
38. "Cangrelor: clinical data, contemporary use, and future perspectives". J Am Heart Assoc 2021;10:e022125.